***PANDEMIC PRECAUTIONS IN EFFECT***
VISITOR POLICY EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 4, 2020:
- One designated visitor per patient per day is permitted.
- Visiting hours will be 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Patients in isolation precautions may not have visitors
- All visitors will be screened for illness. The screen may include temperature check and a few brief questions.
- Visitors under the age of 18 are not permitted. Visitors over the age of 65 are strongly discouraged
- Visitors accompanying ER patients are asked to remain in the waiting room
- Visitors are required to bring their own masks or face covering
- Outside vendors and consultants are restricted without prior approval.
During this time, we encourage visitors to remain connected to their loved ones by virtual means, including Skype, Face Time, and/or phone.
Visitors exhibiting one or more of the following symptoms should stay home to protect our patients, providers, and the public:
- fever or chills
- shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- muscle or body aches
- new loss of taste or smell
- sore throat
- congestion or runny nose
- nausea or vomiting
Visitors can be good medicine and they are welcome at William Newton Hospital. Patients have the right to choose who visits them. The hospital does not restrict visitation based upon race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or relationship status. Please keep in mind that patients need rest and patient care is our primary concern. Occasionally visitation is limited for the safety of patients and/or visitors. Examples of these situations include increased need for infection prevention (see below), risk for radiation exposure, or high potential for interference during procedures.
Guidelines for Visitors
In order to enhance the quality of care, specific visiting hours and rules have been established:
- Clothing - Proper attire is required, including shirt or blouse, pants or skirt and footwear, or equivalent clothing.
- Emergency Room - For your safety and security there are times when visitors will not be allowed in the ER. Visitors may be asked to leave at any time.
- Acute Care / Swing Bed (2nd East) - Visitors are generally limited to two people selected by the patient. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult, including in the lobby. Children age 6 and under may visit with approval of a nurse or physician.
- Intensive Care Unit - Limited to two visitors once an hour selected by the patient. Times and frequency may vary with patient's condition and the number of patients in the ICU. The ICU is a closed unit, so please use the intercom system to gain permission to visit. Any exceptions to the visiting policy will be at the nurse's discretion.
- Patient Requests - Occasionally patients will request that they not have visitors so they may rest. In this situation a nurse will inform the patient of any visitors and relay messages. Please respect the patient's request.
- Staff Requests - Physicians or other clinical staff may ask visitors to leave the room while they work with a patient. This is to insure patient's privacy and the safety of everyone.
Generally, visitors should be free from symptoms of communicable diseases such as colds, flu and skin infections. Examples of these symptoms include cough, fever, diarrhea, vomiting and draining skin lesions. Children who have been exposed to a communicable disease or who are obviously ill are not permitted on the nursing units. Good hand washing is important for visitors as well as staff. Visitors may be asked to leave at any time at the medical or nursing staff's discretion.
WNH is a tobacco-free facility. Use of tobacco products is prohibited in any building or on property owned or operated by WNH.
Parking for patients and visitors is located on Fifth Avenue across from the main entrance. Outpatients may also park in designated areas behind the hospital accessible from Michigan Street. Handicapped parking stalls are designated in several areas in front and behind the hospital. Patients and visitors are asked not to park in loading zones, emergency drives or designated physician parking areas.
Willy's Care Cab is available during the day to shuttle patients and visitors to/from the parking lot on Fifth Avenue across from the main entrance. Please call 620-222-6212 for a ride. If no answer, please call the William Newton Hospital main line at 620-221-2300. Willy's Care Cab is staffed by volunteers. Hours vary.
Food, Flowers and Gifts for Patient
Visitors should check at the nursing station before bringing flowers, gifts, food or drink to patients. Many patients have food restrictions or allergies.
Patient Conference Room
The hospital has a room specifically designed and furnished for patient and family privacy. It is located on the first floor adjacent to the surgery waiting area and emergency room. Patients may use the room at any time to converse with a physician, meditate, meet with a member of the clergy, grieve, meet family or friends or just get away from the medical environment for a while. Please let the nursing staff know where you will be. Although comfortable, the room will only hold three or four people. If the room is busy or access is a problem, contact the nursing staff for assistance with making other arrangements.
Specific waiting areas have been designated for families of patients in Surgery, Intensive Care, Acute Care, Diagnostic Imaging, Family Birthing Center, and outpatient departments. The lobby serves as the waiting area for patients in the Emergency Department. During busy weekday hours, a volunteer host is on duty in the lobby and surgery waiting areas to assist family and visitors.
Letters and packages for patients are delivered each morning by volunteers. Letters and parcels that arrive after you have been discharged are forwarded to your home. Stamps and stationery may be purchased in the Snack Bar/Gift Shop. Outgoing mail may be left at the nursing station. Newspapers may be purchased from dispensers located at the hospital entrance.
The services of a notary are available for patients on weekdays at no cost. For information call extension 1103.
For the Hearing Impaired
A telecommunications device is available to help hearing impaired patients or patients who want to communicate with a hearing impaired relative or friend.
The hospital appreciates any assistance that family members can provide in communicating with patients and other family members. The hospital has access to interpreters for several foreign languages should a patient require it.
Wireless Internet Access
Patients and guests can access the Internet in select locations of the main hospital building. Connect to WiFiWilly in the Snack Bar/Gift Shop, patient rooms on 2nd East and the waiting areas of the Main Lobby, Surgery, Ambulatory Care, 2nd Center and the Family Birthing Center.