William Newton Hospital Auxiliary
WNH Auxiliary Scholarship
The WNH Auxiliary Scholarship is funded by various Auxiliary fundraising activities throughout the year. The scholarship is intended to assist young people with educations in healthcare and to meet the future needs for healthcare professionals in the area.
The scholarship awards total $1,000 per student. The $500 installments are made at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters to the accredited college or university where the student has been accepted. The second installment will be given only if the applicant submits a letter to the scholarship committee stating that he/she is still enrolled as a full-time student (12 hours or more) in the chosen healthcare field.
- Applicant must must be a permanent resident or graduate of the WNH primary service area, which includes the counties of Sumner, Cowley, Chautauqua, and Elk.
- Applicant must be accepted into an accredited university or college program in the healthcare field.
- Applicant must be in good academic standing with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Applicant must maintain full time status, 12 hours or more per semester.
Applications may be acquired through the Director of Volunteer's Office at William Newton Hospital or the counselors' offices of area high schools. Applications are currently available. Completed applications must be submitted by March 31, 2018 to William Newton Hospital, Director of Volunteer Services, 1300 East Fifth Ave., Winfield, KS 67156.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Completed application form by designated deadline.
- Signed letter from applicant stating intended healthcare vocation, reasons for interest in healthcare, knowledge of the importance of the vocation.
- Copy of letter of acceptance as a full time (12 hours or more per semester) in a college or university healthcare field program.
- Financial need statement.
- Three letters of recommendation attesting to applicant's interest in chosen healthcare field. Reference letters must not be from relatives/family members.
- Official copy of transcripts reflecting a GPA of 3.0.
The Auxiliary Scholarship Committee will review the applications to determine eligibility based on financial need of the individual and accumulative G.P.A of 3.0 or better.
Conditions of Scholarship
- All payments of WNH Auxiliary scholarships are made directly to the college or university financial aid office.
- To receive a second installment, the Auxiliary must receive a personal letter from the student stating that he/she is still enrolled as a full time student (12 hours or more) in a healthcare related field by January 4, 2019.
- The Auxiliary will request refund of payment should the scholarship recipient fail to follow through with enrollment and attendance in the college. Refund of payment will also be requested if scholarship recipient switches major to a non-healthcare related field.
- Personal appearance to the Scholarship Committee may be requested.
- The committee has the option to request an official transcript at any time.
- A recipient may apply for one additional scholarship (a maximum of four semesters or $2,000).