Patient and Family Advisory Council
The Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC) was implemented at William Newton Hospital in early 2016. This Advisory Council is dedicated to the continuous improvement of quality, safety, and the overall experience of care. It is comprised of past and present patients and family, as well as William Newton Hospital staff members. Patient/Family Advisors are volunteers who provide the patient and family (consumer) perspective on patient care initiatives, projects, programs, and facilities that impact the patient and family experience at William Newton Hospital.
Consideration of perspectives from patients and families, who are knowledgeable members of the care team, offers unique viewpoints and valuable feedback regarding the care received. A diverse group of patient advisors are represented, and can ultimately help steer improvement processes for the betterment of our hospital and community.
This shared relationship enables the Advisory Council, which meets on a bi-monthly basis, to:
- Identify needs and concerns.
- Provide feedback on current systems and processes in the hospital.
- Generate new ideas to improve care delivery.
- Act as catalysts for change.
- Advocates for patient-centered care across the institution.
- Be active consultants with regards to decisions that affect patients and families.
A few of our accomplishments:
- Improved inpatient discharge folder
- Internal signage
- “Quiet packs” for patients (sound machines, ear plugs, eye masks)
- Inpatient clocks
- Infection control brochure
- Support of including clinical staff in Donors in Denim initiative
Learn more: PFAC brochure
Interested in joining?
- Attend regular patient/family advisory council meetings
- Participate in topic-specific focus consumer groups
- Review patient and family educational and marketing materials
- Provide feedback on new building design and way-finding
- Provide patient stories at orientation sessions for new employees
- Participate on committees to provide the consumer voice
- Perform similar activities as needed/directed
The Patient & Family Advisory Council (PFAC) meets every two months. The meetings are typically held on the last Thursday of the month at 1:30pm at William Newton Hospital.
If interested, contact Kirstie Cates at 620-222-6225 or email Kirstie.firstname.lastname@example.org